Monday, January 19, 2009

Mushroom Casserole

I ADORE 101 Cookbooks. When I am at a loss for dinner, it is one of the first places I go. I made this for the new mama, my sweetie and Scott the other night for dinner. But the mens decided to have a last-minute boys-night-out. I was going to save the casserole for them for lunch or dinner the following day, but it didn't last. I devoured it.

So when we last-minute entertained last night, with a few among them vegetarians even, I decided it was a perfect opportunity to enjoy this meal again and give Scott and Mike another shot at it. It is not difficult. It is hearty and healthy. I made it with light sour cream and low-fat cottage cheese because thats what I had. I bought the brown mushrooms already cleaned and sliced at Smith's (so easy). I started early in the day so I could relax, enjoy the process and not stress out at the last minute (because I never give myself enough time). I prepared it and left it in the refrigerator for a few hours all ready to go. Worked out well.

Everyone loved it. Several asked for the recipe. So here it is. (Don't let my terrible photo frighten you). Thanks 101!


Mushroom Casserole from 101 Cookbooks

Use any cooked grain you like.

1/2 pound (8 ounces) brown mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
1 large onion, well chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 cups cooked brown rice, room temperature (I used wild rice the first time, then when I doubled the recipe the second time, I used half wild and half brown).
2 large eggs
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
a bit of fresh tarragon, chopped

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Rub a medium-large baking dish with a bit of olive oil or butter and set aside. The first time I used a hand-made casserole dish and pie plate (to divide for two families), the second time, when I doubled it, I used my nice saute skillet.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat saute the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil sprinkled with a couple pinches of salt. Stir every minute or so until the mushrooms have released their liquid and have browned a bit. Add the onions and cook for another 4 or 5 minutes or until they are translucent. Stir in the garlic, cook for another minute and remove from heat. Add the rice to the skillet and stir until combined.

In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream, and salt.

Combine the rice mixture and cottage cheese mixture in a large bowl, stir until well combined and then turn out into your prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 2/3 of the Parmesan cheese, cover with foil and place in oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 or 30 minutes more or hot throughout and golden along the edges. Sprinkle with the chopped tarragon, and the remaining Parmesan and enjoy.

Serves about 8.

1 comment:

Finn and Tracey Family said...

sounds great as all you entries do - i need to go to your food blog more often to get ideas for dinner. i wish i could make this - but finn can't or won't have some of the ingredients. bummer. thanks for sharing and hope we can get together soon.