My husband restarted his P90X three weeks ago. To drop the last 10. And, more importantly, prepare for ski season. I have been putting it off. But restarted Power 90 today. With the plan to ease back into P90X. I lost the last baby-20 thanks to Tony Horton. And, more importantly, felt fantastic. But it got away from me the last few months. Transitioning to "third-year" and a million other excuses. Five pounds creeped on. But really I just want my "prozac" back.
This all makes baking a little less fun. Not because I bake for me. I rarely eat much or any of what I bake for me. And I certainly believe in moderation over dogma, so a bite of raw cookie dough here or a taste of iron cupcake muffin there does not send me into a shame spiral. BUT, I do bake for those I love. And the particular one I love most of all has BEGGED me to stop. Argh. When its loved one vs. loved hobby, I find myself torn between two lovers. It is very complicated, because Food=Love. Everyone knows that. This is very complicated math. At any rate, thats a very long explanation for tonight's muffins. (Thank god for nurses at work, dinner parties, book clubs and hungry friends, who also need love).
Fruit-and-Cream-Cheese-Filled Muffins, adapted from Cooking Light magazine, March 2001
1/4 c. low-fat cream cheese
2 T. all-fruit (the recipe calls for strawberry jam, i had apricot all-fruit)
2 1/4 c. flour (I used 1 c. all-purpose and 1 1/4 c. whole wheat)
1/4 c. sugar (recipe called for 1/3, I thought 1/4 was plenty)
2 t. baking powder
2 t. poppy seeds
1 t. ground cinnamon (not in original recipe - could have probably used another teaspoon)
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 1/4 c. buttermilk (I didn't have buttermilk, so I used 1/2 c. yogurt and the rest 2% milk)
3 T. oil
2 egg whites
1 egg
Preheat 375. Combine cream cheese and fruit. Mix dry - flour through salt - in one bowl. Liquid (all the rest of the ingredients) whisked in another. Mix together just until moist. Fill sprayed tins or papers 1/3 full, put approximately one teaspoon of fruit-cream cheese in each, divide the rest of batter on top. Bake for 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins. Freeze extras.
3 comments:
Okay. I've put it off long enough. I visit your baking blog from time to time and just start salivating. Really. It's like food porn to me. I'm thinking of taking it off my bookmark tool bar to to avoid the temptation.
You have a talent, not just a passion.
Keep it up even if I can't:) ha ha
so, i have been meaning to ask you again... what all can you exactly have and not have? dairy? butter? sugar? i need DETAILS. i have something in mind...
No Eggs, sugar and soy. Limited amounts of: garlic, watermelon, peach, lemon, pear, orange, whole wheat, refined flour, lima and lentil bean, oregano, onion, green bean, potato, green and red pepper, broccoli, and honey.
I eat as much organic food as I can. I sweeten with Agave as much as I can.
I can do dairy products in moderation. I do wheat a little but I usually eat rye or barley or sprouted grain.
It's a tall order.
Post a Comment