Monday, September 22, 2008

Dinner Tonight

Soaked chicken breast strips in buttermilk & garlic overnight. Rolled in food-processed oats, cheese and herbs. Baked 15 minutes. Tasty. "Chicken nugget strips". Thats what we call them to get Scout to eat them. And she did. Enough left for the Curious George lunchbox in the A.M.

Herbed Oven-Fried Chicken
from The Gourmet Toaster Oven (a very random Mother's Day present from some years back - because I do not own a toaster oven - we double the recipe)

1/2 c. buttermilk
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 t. salt
1 T. oil
1/2 # chicken tenders or breast strips
1 c. rolled oats
1/2 t. red pepper flakes
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese (I used another random hard cheese we had left from a party)
1/4 c. fresh basil (or rosemary - I used basil of course since we have tons left from the iron cupcake experiment)

In shallow dish, mix buttermilk, garlic, 1/2 t. salt and oil. Place chicken in mixture and coat, marinate overnight in fridge.
Preheat to 425. In food processor, mix oats, pepper flakes, 1 t. salt, cheese, basil. Pulse until oats partially powdered. Place on plate, shake excess buttermilk off chicken and coat each piece. Place on sprayed foil over baking sheet. Can spray chicken with oil (I forgot) and bake 10-15 minutes, until crust is brown and crispy. Serve hot or cold.

Serves 2.

No comments: