I blame this woman...
I realized baking for me was (yet) another way I took care of other people. It was a bit creative for me, but mostly not. I would get irritable and spend a lot of time trying to get it right. I couldn't enjoy it with Scout, she just felt "in the way". And I was tired of taking care of everyone and "everything" and didn't even know it.
Then... I started taking Kindra's art classes and workshops. For whatever reason drawing and painting became the art for me that I didn't know I was missing. Accessing my creative, loose, open, kid-self. Who knew I could or wanted to so badly? Something I do just for me. And yet I can do it with Scout and not get grumpy. It feels like a process not a destination. Although I can still get irritable while I do it, just ask Kindra. (A little tension in the process never hurts.) Its good practice for me in letting go. I now have points of reference for these different states of being. Its been quite the fun adventure. And as a bonus, helps my (paid) work and my relationships. I look forward to spending my next 10 years studying this.
Back to my muffins. So, thats why I haven't been baking. I found my new art form. But today I baked for a different reason. To be Mike's teammate, which is very important to him (and me too). To help us stop spending so much moneys on foods and coffees, I took the time to plan the week's menu, shop for the entire week, cold brew coffee for the week, and make muffins for breakfasts. Now baking doesn't feel so heavy and will hopefully weigh down our pocketbooks a bit. Scout helped (& no fights). Richer all around!
Rye, Onion, Swiss Cheese and Turkey Sausage Muffins from my new $2 D.I. organic cookbook:
1 c. milk [I used buttermilk cuz I'm out of regular until the milkman comes in the a.m.]
1 large egg
1 small red onion, minced
1/2 c. turkey sausage (optional)
2 T. veg oil
1 c. whole grain (pastry) flour [I used regular]
1 c. rye flour
2 T. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 c. (4 oz) shredded Swiss cheese
[I did the whole thing in the Cuisinart, starting with onion and then turkey sausage links.]
Preheat to 400. Oil muffin pan or baking sheet.
Combine milk, egg, onion, oil. In another bowl, combine flours, sugar, b powder, salt. Form well and add milk, cheese (and sausage).
Evenly divide into muffin tin (or spoonfuls onto baking sheet).
Bake 20 minutes.
2 comments:
I love it. Painting. I look forward to seeing some of them. I liked the one you posted on facebook. I don't think I have that gift in me, but one day I'll have to try it. Too bad all of Kindra's classes are for women folk... sexist if you ask me :D
i keep checking your other blog and just remembered your food blog!!! i love it too. you just make me smile. i do not know if i have it in me as well but as finn said it would be fun to try. too bad i always work on her workshop days...
glad that you are happy baking as well. you are so good at it.
Post a Comment