Monday, December 22, 2008

Iron Cupcake: Chocolate with a Twist

This was tougher than it sounds. At first, I got the idea we should just be creative. I had the thought straight-off to dip something totally in chocolate. The first ideas were along the lines of oatmeal coffee-cake or plum-pistachio. Then Queen Bee or Queen Cupcake, "No One Puts Cupcake in a Corner", posted her chocolate-bacon masterpiece... I went back and read the month's challenge post, and figured she meant she expected something CRAZY unexpected, like bacon. I had seen a curry chocolate bar by Vosges (who also does a bacon one) and thought the idea was brilliant. Having never actually tasted the bar or those two flavors together, I just went for it...

Curry Coconut Cupcake covered in Bittersweet Chocolate!. Like a crazy Mounds (which I LOVE). The cupcake is delicious-moist with a spice-twang, and hell, everything is better dipped in dark chocolate-love. Mmmmmm.

I must admit, it is one of my top two of all time now, tied with the Chupcake. Remarkable. (My husband and Scott Johnson are crazy for it too).


Curry Coconut Cupcake covered in Bittersweet Chocolate
makes 12
3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 - 1 1/2 t. curry powder
1/4 t. cinnamon (I added extra cinn. & card. cuz I am nuts about these two particular spices & think there is never enough)
1/8 t. cardamom
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. kosher salt
1/2 cup coconut milk
4 oz. sweetened, shredded coconut

-- 325 degrees
-- beat butter & sugar until fluffy, then add eggs one at a time. add vanilla, mix well.
-- separately, whisk all the dry ingredients.
-- alternate adding dry with coconut milk into batter; fold in coconut.
-- bake for 22-25 minutes.

Sorry, I did not weigh the chocolate. I have a huge hunk of Guittard dark chocolate from baker's supply, but you could use good chocolate chips, melted in double-boiler (you could try microwave). I chilled cupcakes in deep-freeze for 20-30 minutes to firm-up (they have a moist, tender crumb) and dipped in melted chocolate and cooled. You really ought to try these at home. Delicious!

As always, I am competing to win some very fabulous prizes:

ETSY PRIZE-PACK from artists...
BETTY TURBO
LOTS OF SPRINKLES
CAKESPY

Plus...
A delicious apron complements of SWEET CUPPIN CAKES BAKERY AND CUPCAKERY SUPPLY

Last and certainly not least, the corporate prize providers... HEAD CHEFS by FIESTA PRODUCTS, HELLO CUPCAKE by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson, JESSIE STEELE APRONS, the CUPCAKE COURIER, TASTE OF HOME books.

And, Iron Cupcake:Earth is sponsored in part by 1-800-Flowers.

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!...
Voting will begin no later than Monday, December 29 at 8 p.m. at NO ONE PUTS CUPCAKE IN A CORNER, and will be open through January 2.

Winner will be posted the night of January 2, before 11:59 p.m.

GO to the IronCupcake:Earth cuphub to become a part of the excitement.

Check out cupcakes and prizes on Flikr as well.

THANKS!

No comments: